What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Return to Shadowrun

Of the various games I've played in over the years (yet never ran) was FASA's Shadowrun.  People I've met either loved it or hated it and I think part of the reason was the magic meets (future) tech angle.  A bastard-child of D&D and Cyberpunk so-to-speak.  Like MERP, it was someone else who introduced me to the game.  Actually, it was the same guy who had introduced me to MERP a year or two before.  D&D was never his 'main' game but I digress.  While I first made a character, I did so with some reservations.  It's probably a good thing I didn't invest too much time in the character as his death was swift.

The experience wasn't in vein since it did give me a better feel for the system and, not wanting to get too attached, I named him the Punisher and drew some of the inspiration from the Marvel character.  The idea was the character was influenced by the old comic book and was ex-Lonestar.  I just didn't think he'd live that long.  Well I was mistaken but had a blast playing a cybered up weapons guy.  A few years after the character was effectively shelved, another friend decided to run a campaign and out of 'retirement' he came.  Lots of fun given that this was during the phase where TSR and AD&D took a break from one another in the mid-90's.

But that was years ago... over 15 now.  Lot's of changes happened to Shadowrun over the years.  When I played, 2nd Edition was the latest and greatest (though very close to 1st).  FASA is now long gone and the IP has changed hands and a few more editions have come (and gone).  And while I have some of the older books, the likelihood that I run such a campaign is extremely slim.

Why do I bring it up?  Only because my last hope to even play lies in a new Kickstarter for a turn-based RPG for the PC by one of the original creators of the game!!  If you have fond memories for one reason or another but know that running a pen and paper Shadowrun campaign just isn't your foreseeable future, you can check out the Kickstarter HERE.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment