What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:

What I'm Backing on Kickstarter:
After Winter Dark Campaign Setting

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Back in Black

In the past month and a half, I've taken a step back while things have just gotten busier in my life.  It just so happens that between my 9-5 gig, and regular commitments, as well as a bunch of unexpected ones, I wasn't left with time to take much of a breather these days.  I did take a bit of time to celebrate my own birthday a couple of weeks ago and May has kicked off rather nicely in the sense that things have started to calm down and I have been able to think about getting back to business...

While I haven't been able to get much work done on current projects with Arcana Creations, I have been keeping tabs at some of the things that have been going on in the gaming community.  I have also been taking a hard look at various trends and changes.  I have also witnessed a local game store shutting down and noticed attitudes changing as the gaming landscape continues to evolve.

Depending whom you ask, you will get a variety of thoughts and opinions on why that is.  Some will be quick to blame 4th Edition and others simply the slow Economy.  It could be the growth of POD publishing efforts or it could be a general dissatisfaction of the current situation and what's actually available.

I'm not really sure if any of it matters too much.

The key is being able to evolve and respond.  TLG has made a few shifts in terms of its own general business strategy -- the $5 module initiative is a primary example of this.  Other companies are trying to different things and Arcana Creations will also be making certain adjustments.  This may become more apparent as we get closer to 2011.

In the meantime, where is Arcana Creations at?  A few people had been been asking and next up is still the C&C module entitled 'A Trick on the Tain'  That project is very nearly ready for completion and *should* be going to print within the next couple of weeks.  Following on the heals of this release will be the new Siege-based game entitled 'Victorious'.  The release for this project will be two-fold.  First we will release a free Quickstart as a free PDF which will be followed later this summer with the core rulebook for the game.  I've had a chance to play around with it a bit and I'm eager to see it out in print.  Hopefully people will embrace this Victorian-era based Super Hero RPG and enjoy the system approach.  After the dust settles on that, we will follow with the release of the 'Foamy Tankard'; an accessory for C&C and other FRPG's.

Beyond that, I've decided to keep future projects under wraps for now.  Things are in the works though and I expect to make an announcement as the Fall starts closing in.

This weekend is Victoria Day weekend here in Canada which means I will be able to play catch up and get a bunch of work wrapped up all going well.  For those who follow the blog regularly or who have been asking for news, thank you so much for patiently waiting.

M

2 comments:

  1. Are people looking for cheap (inexpensive) products?

    I'm interested in quality at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good question. Some people will be 'dazzled' by the inexpensive option the TLG is providing and will be swayed by it. Others prefer quality even if it costs a few dollars more.

    If it works out for them, well more power to them. Personally, I like to think that the quality of products that Brave Halfling Publishing and Arcana Creations are producing are very solid and have a reasonable price point.

    All I hope is that our potential customers agree. :)

    M

    ReplyDelete